Thursday, May 15, 2008

Post 1,000, Bitches!

As promised, and in accordance with ironic prophecy, the post relating to this milestone will be incredibly lame.

Grant-a-palooka aught 8 kicked off Tuesday night with my monthly 日本語会 meeting. As usual, the Japanese gathered in the parking lot and didn’t enter the restaurant until all the Americans were seated at one table, then they occupied a separate table and ignored us for the evening. The next time, if I bother to attend at all, I’m going to encourage the Americans to spread out amongst all our reserved tables in order to force the J-peeps to engage. That will likely deter their future attendance, once they realize dinners with the Japan – America society mean dealing with Americans, but I don’t care. As long as they’re physically here I might as well drag their minds kicking and screaming across the border.

Wednesday night I saw Iron Man with a buddy and we had dinner at Hooters. Iron Man is an awesome superhero flick, better than any other with the possible exception of Batman Begins. Everyone involved in the last Hulk and both Fantastic Four floating turds films should be required to watch IM before they’re ever allowed to attempt another. Hooters was okay, typical of its kind. Our waitress was friendly and possibly overqualified to wear the shirt, the food and beer decent, and the place noisy and irritating. It takes them awhile to bring the check, so if you go I recommend asking for the check before you actually order. Being the last place in the world I’m likely to find a Japanese girlfriend, we didn’t linger.

For today, my actual 誕生日, I have no time to celebrate. Lunch was a ham sandwich and I may go out to dinner if the rains stop, but otherwise it’s just housework and 日本語 homework. And I’m done.

11 comments:

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Bet the girl in my blog post today works at Hooters.

Eh, on second thought, she may not. Those huge chi-chis have a tendancy to knock the beer bottles off her serving tray.

Congrats on the 1,000th post! :)

sybil law said...

Happy Birthday!
(I came over from Avitables. I was also born on the 15th!)

Tracy Lynn said...

You can't hear me, but I'm sining happy birthday.

You are so lucky you can't hear me.

Tracy Lynn said...

SINGING. I AM SINGING. And, also, a dork.

Monogram Queen said...

Yes definitely spread out and FORCE the j-peeps to mingle. That kind of exclusivity gets on my last good nerve!
Yay for good super hero flicks and Hooters!

BlondeBlogger said...

Happy belated birthday to my co-star in Avi's drawing! The 15th totally rocks, doesn't it? :)

Joe said...

Happy belated birthday.

Glad to see that you're willing to do your part to facilitate Asian-American relations. In a different way, I mean, than the one you normally propose.

Kerry said...

I just saw Batman Begins... this weekend! It's hard to imagine that it took me so long to get to this one. I want to see the one with Heath Ledger... so Tim told me I needed to see this one before I watch that one.

It's pretty good!

I heard Iron Man was too. That will be on my list.

Hooters sucks all around I think. Both times i've been there we got flat chested waitresses and the food was horrid. Lets face it... we're there for the boobs and beer and that's what we want!

Adrianne said...

Happy birthday my gift is coming to you however it has to pass through customs first.

Leesa said...

Classic line: "Being the last place in the world I’m likely to find a Japanese girlfriend, we didn’t linger."

I love your sense of humor and timing.

Grant said...

avi - thanks!

pq - thanks!

sybil - thanks! And Happy Birthday. =)

tracy - thanks!

tracy - stay dorky - it works for you.

mq - if I force them to mingle it may scare them away, but that should work at least once.

bb - thanks!

joe - thanks!

kerry - I've actually had good service and decent food at some locations, but the local one is crappy. It's in a location that can't fail to draw crowds, so they don't need to put forth any effort.

ssc - thanks! I hope she's had all her shots.

leesa - thanks!