Thursday, March 27, 2008

We're #1!

It's widely known that America is the fattest nation on the Earth, but the Japanese seem determined to close the gap. It's a huge gap, with some sources claiming Japan's overall obesity rate is about 3% of their population vs. our 36%, but McDonald's Japan is doing their part. Their latest culinary affront, the チーズてりたま (teriyaki burger with cheese and fried egg) is not as bad as some of their previous offerings (such as the Mega Mac – four beef patties), but bear in mind that that their value meals give you fries, a soda, and an option to add a six-pack of chicken nuggets.

But don't despair - we've leapt ahead in the adiposity race with the invention of the donut bacon cheeseburger. Take that, 日本. Our cars may suck, but we'll be fatter than you until the day we die, which will be about ten years ahead of you according to the latest statistics.

6 comments:

Monogram Queen said...

Okay, I consider myself an open-minded free-thinker, but doughnuts and burgers just do not mix. Ack. I feel my arteries hardening just looking at the picture!

Deb said...

You gotta be kidding me! Even looking at that photo of the donut bacon cheeseburger gave me a stomach ache! Ugh!

I would totally live in Japan and eat raw fish and raw veggies for the rest of my life.

Anonymous said...

Drool!

Tai said...

It amazing that they would think of selling 45grams of fat at an athletic event.
And then succeed.
That's some balls those guys have got!

Grant said...

patti - I have to agree - donuts and burgers on separate plates.

~deb - and I would totally live in Atlanta and have sex with Japanese women for the rest of my life.

metalmom - you can have it. I'll trade you for kitsune udon.

tai - around here, athletic events tend to draw the 125+ kg crowd, so it's a natural escalation of the typical beer and hot dogs served.

Kira said...

What amazes me is that anybody there would eat those things with any regularity unless they were sumo wrestlers. Or one of those peach girls you mentioned. With all that good sushi and various fish dishes there, I can't see for the life of me why folks would touch that shit. Oh well.