Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Quick Show of Hands

Today after work I stopped by a local BBQ place for some takeout. I walked up to the exterior window, rang the bell, and placed my order with the girl at the cash register. She was kind of goofy in a purile way, but I smiled at her stupid jokes and nodded my head when appropriate. She finally gave me my food after saying "OK" several times in a silly voice and forcing me to repeat her. As I walked away she shouted "Seeya" in a singsong voice, then sang "Wouldn't wanna beya" in a lower voice as she closed the windows. Being the calm, collected, rational adult I am, I shouted "Bitch!" back at her.

Was I wrong to feel insulted by that comment? Was that supposed to pass for witty banter on her part. It sounded too much like "Sucks to be you" to me. How should I have handled it? Laugh? Cry? Shout "Bitch!" back at her? Kill everyone in the building?

11 comments:

Valkyrie said...

I would be insulted if someone I didn't know said that to me.

Valkyrie said...

I'd either handle a situation like that with grace and aplomb (ignore the nitwit)....or give her a suitable caustic remark.

Josh said...

Maybe she meant it more like the phrase, “See you later alligator”. That doesn’t mean you’re an alligator, it just rhymes. If she was that goofy she was probably just being silly, not trying to insult you. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, otherwise I’d have to kill most everyone I come in contact with.

Anonymous said...

It was rude and I'd be pissed about it, but I think I would consider the source and just let it go....

But that was a stupid thing for her to say (sing song or not). She needs more work in her customer service skills.

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

She sounds like an airhead. I probably would've replied with a "Fuck you" under my breath and let it go at that.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't that pass for a somewhat "normal" conversation down there in Georgia? :)

Grant said...

Vomitgod - there was no mention of hog parts or the word "Y'all", so it doesnt' qualify as standard Southern fare.

Blondie... said...

Well, I am with of the commentors before me. I would have reacted the same way. I hate being chatted up usually by food workers in a drive thru window unless they are semi-intelligent. I have told more than my fair share of them to "fuck off".

Like when the grocery store clerk got pissy that I didn't have 53 cents. I wanted to just punch him. I handed him solid bills because I didn't want to delay the process anymore than he had. WTF? The register does the math, all he has to do is recognize shapes of coins!

Argh.

Be angry Grant. It is ok to feel that way when some bitchy little girl says crap like that.

sands of time said...

She sounds really immature.Your the customer she should be respectful and polite to you.

MZPEACH said...

Grant that was awful...lol.

CarpeDM said...

Be pissed. Call the manager. Get her yelled at or maybe even fired. At the very least, get free food out of the deal. Food service isn't the most exciting job in the world but there's no excuse for treating a customer like that.