Tuesday, September 27, 2005

The End is Nigh

Another thirty day experiment is now drawing to an end. Starting tomorrow I can drink beer once again.

My first experiment, eliminating non-natural foods, turned out to be a rousing success. I had more energy and slept better after the initial Mountain Dew detox shock wore off. Then I decided on another thirty day test – no alcohol. Conventional wisdom says booze is bad, right? Well, after thirty days I can proudly report I felt no different at first, but now am not sleeping as well which is causing me to spend more time trying to sleep and I have less energy to spend at the gym and on writing. But I did save a few bucks.

The thing is I’m not looking forward to savoring the taste of beer or getting ripped. Beer tastes okay but not great, and I rarely drink enough to get drunk. What I miss are late night writing sessions, going to bed at 2:00 AM, awaking at 7:00 AM feeling completely refreshed, getting through my day at the cube farm without battling Mr. Sandman, and working out without forcing myself to stick with it. Hopefully a diet of all natural foods and a few beers now and then is the balance I need to be healthy, happy, and psychotically productive.

As another experiment in extremism, this Friday I will drink a shot of whiskey every fifteen minutes and blog the results. After that I’ll be looking for another thirty day trial. Suggestions are welcome.

8 comments:

Malia said...

Every 15 minutes for how long?

Malia

Grant said...

Until I pass out, bazooka barf, or die, whichever comes first.

Toad734 said...

Beer is good, it is better if you drink good beer. Stay away from Miller Light; it is full of chemicals that make you "feel" drunk.

annush said...

beer is gross. ewwwwwwwwwww

too many unnecessary carbs.

but i doubt whisky can be any good for you. eek!

lccb144 said...

Is anyone keeping an eye on you while you do this?

*slight look of concern.

How about thirty days of not driving a car? (Though probably impossible where you live)

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I CANNOT wait until Friday.

This should be interesting! :)

(You have supervision for this experiment??? Like someone to pick you up off the floor after the first couple of hours???)

;)

Kira said...

Just like a weightifter needs someone to spot him or her, I think you need somebody to spot you for that experiment. Otherwise, I think it would be hilarious. You should post a couple of lines after every shot so we can see how your writing changes over the time of drunkenness.

Butterscotch said...

Try not to pass out till you post. Till tomorrow...