Friday, August 06, 2004

Wisdom

Teeth, that is. I've noticed lately that a large number of people out there in blogland are getting their wisdom teeth removed, which reminds me of my own ordeal. I had mine removed later than most, when I was in Germany in the Army. They did it in two separate operations, one for the uppers and one for the lowers. The uppers went as well as could be, and they sent me back to the barracks with some Tylenol 3 (the stuff with codeine). Those pills were supposed to last me for awhile, but after a few beers some other soldiers convinced me to share, so we took the whole bottle that night. I don't remember much, but I was told it looked like I had fun.

The problem came when I went back to have the lowers removed. The first proved tougher than usual to remove, but the second was the real shocker - it had three roots. The dentist seemed surprised, but not completely shocked ("Hey, everybody. Come get a load of this."). Instead of being able to pull it, he had to use his drill to score hatchmarks in the tooth, then break it apart and remove the pieces. I was mostly numb to the pain, but having to sit through that drill's scream as I felt the powder from my own tooth coat my tongue was sheer torture. You'll be glad to know I divulged no information.

On the lighter side, they gave me some GREAT drugs for that one (no more of that girly Tylenol 3 stuff). I don't know what it was, but I felt like I was floating, only in a little pain and not even caring about that. Unfortunately the stuff tended to put me to sleep. I had to take one every twelve hours, and when I did I drifted through a state of euphoria for about thirty minutes, then passed out. I'd wake up about a half hour before it was time for another, and I'd sit on my bunk in groggy dull pain, wishing that time would get the lead out. Then, repeat. That went on for a few days.

I don't know why I posted this. It's not particularly helpful to anyone (like most of everything else I post). Oh, wait, I do know why - it's almost time for lunch, and I didn't want to start a new project until I get back. This bit wasted the perfect amount of time.

Food, out

No comments: