Friday, February 04, 2011

Why I still use Google Blogger comments

Following is a condensed version of a drawn-out comment monologue I've heard from many people over the years. See if it sounds familiar.

"Ha ha, you are an idiot because you use lame old Google Blogger's comment function. I now use Comment McFoobulator. It is totally awesome! It slices! It dices! It rubs your feet and changes all comments to positive fuzzy 'I love everything you say' stuff. I can now manage my comments in a way you Google-beats can only imagine. It never fails and never drops a single comment. Okay, yeah, you do have to register. But it's totally worth it. Okay, sure, it says it works with Google accounts and then only picks up half your info when you log in, but the glass is still half full. Or at least 40% full. The glass is seriously 33% full, and that's on a cloudy day. Okay, now they do require word verification. And you have to wait for a follow-up e-mail. And then you have to click on the link in the e-mail and go to their web site to confirm that you actually did want to leave the comment you painstakingly typed. And there are other hoops to navigate if you want follow-up e-mails. But at least they don't - what the shit!? People are e-mailing me and saying their comments are getting lost. And that they like me, but not enough to fight their way past Comment McFoobulator and leave each comment multiple times in the hopes that one gets through. And now Comment McFoobulator isn't responding to my e-mails. It looks like they've gone out of business. CURSE YOU, COMMENT MCFOOBULATOR!!!

""Ha ha, you are an idiot because you use lame old Google Blogger's comment function, whereas I now use Comment McFrappinator..."

So, yeah. The Google Blogger comment function stays in this Google blog. It abides because it endures. It's not perfect, but then again neither are you. Leave a comment if you have an issue with that.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phssshhhh... why would I want to leave a stinky old BLOGGER comment when I could use the new comment jack 3000?

Jay said...

Commenting is so much easier than people make it out to be. For some reason, even though I don't restrict comments at all on my blog, some Word Press people claim they can't comment because the can't just put in their name and url.

But, they can. All they have to do is click the Name/Url button and do just what they want to do. Seriously, it's not that complicated.

Also, commenting forms like Disqus aren't complicated either. When you set it up, just allow people who aren't registered with Disqus to comment. It's that easy.

Jay said...

Oh but Blogger is totally lying about enclosure links working. They don't. I don't know why they even bother to give the option because they don't work.

Tracy Lynn said...

People are nuts. I do not cater to them. My blog is specifically written for lunatics, and there are only so many times I want to read MWAHAHAHAHAHA however they are spelling it.

Pearl said...

Man, it's all I can do to write the blog, let alone screw around withe all the different ways to comment!

Pearl

April said...

I don't see anything wrong with the Blogger comment box. Nor do any of the 2 people who comment on my blog complain about it. So I guess I'm good.

Anonymous said...

I'm lost Grant. It's my usual state.

I recently cut out the word verification on my blogger comment thingie. I've been waiting on spam ever since... but it hasn't found me.

Lady Tragic said...

When I still used blogger, I tried all those dumb commenting systems and though they had more features and bells and whistles, I found that more folks had no bloody clue how to use them, the average net user these days thinks that the entire internet consists of hotmail and facebook.. I went back to blogger comments because they're easy and if someone can't figure them out--they don't beling on the bloody net lol!

Unknown said...

Hey this works!