Saturday, January 08, 2005

Writing News (or lack thereof)

Not much. I’m off to a bad start this year, what with the holidays and travel and recuperating from travel and drink and oregano. I fell into one of my tedious slumps where I constantly question my abilities and wonder whether or not I truly have anything to offer beyond the cubicle. I dealt with this by sleeping a lot, drinking hot chocolate, and reading. I finished two books in the last couple of days (reading, not writing) and read half of a short story collection called Writer of the Purple Rage by Joe R. Lansdale. Bubba Ho-Tep was the last story I finished, and I can now say the movie was a very faithful adaptation. I re-read some of my favorite passages by Janet Evanovich and Stephen King (along with Lansdale), analyzed various writing styles, and felt my confidence returning. I don’t think I’m better than any of them, but at least I feel worthwhile again.

I finally got back to the gym today. I worked my shoulders, lats, and arms, upping the weight by a couple of notches and injuring my arm and neck in the process. A friend of mine probably infected me with that injury, even though my injured arm is on the other side. I guess I’ll have to stop calling him a pussy, unless my arm heals tonight, in which case it’ll be back to business as usual.

At least my mother is recuperating nicely.

Ouch, out

No comments: