Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Cliche Central

While in Blockbuster looking for a tolerable movie (I chose Snatch - we'll see how it goes), I overheard the monitors blaring an advertisement about some new movie. What I remember is (cue ominous music and deep voiced announcer):

In a world...
Where (less than ideal conditions exist, unlike our planet)...
A soldier with no name...
A warrior with extraordinary fighting abilities...
Must face (bad people/things)...
Who destroyed his people.

The thing that really grabbed my attention was that every time I thought it sounded like the most hackneyed and cliched piece of crap ever, the next sentence managed to top it. I know that from a broad enough view everything has been done before (a guy I once worked with said he didn't see the big deal with Saving Private Ryan since he had already seen a few war movies), but they should still be able to change enough details to create a small amount of excitement. Do they think people will take comfort from the familiarity, or is it cheaper just to recycle taglines.

Been there, done that, out

1 comment:

Nobius said...

Was that the tagline to Hero?

I thought the same thing too when I heard it.

All the world is a cliche.

Except for Nobius.