Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Spider Man 2

After seeing this movie, I was filled with the same feeling I get when I watch any great film, a feeling which can be best described as "gottapeegottapeegottapee."  I need to stop buying the large soda.

I won't say much about the movie itself for fear of giving anything away, but it was an improvement over the original in much the same way as X2 was better than the first X-Men.  It had a better story and a more complex villain(s), although they were a bit looser with the details of Spider-Man's powers.  It reminds me of something I've read about writing fantasy - you create the details of your world, but you still need to remain true to them.

One other comment - I had heard rumors about who was to be playing the lead role.  When Tobey Maguire looked like he would have been unavailable, Jake Gyllenhaal, then boyfriend of Kirsten Dunst, was contacted and began to prep for the role.  Maguire eventually signed on at the last minute and replaced him.  It may have been my imagination, but in some scenes it seemed like a little vitriol slipped through Dunst's dulcet performance.  For example, in the cafe scene her lips said "Kiss me" but her eyes said "Kill yourself."

 - 4 out of 5 stars

1 comment:

Connie said...

jake gyllenhal though, does not quite give off that "mild-mannered geekiness" that tobey does.