Sunday, July 18, 2004

Movie Review - Runaway

This is a sci-fi flick starring Tom Selleck and Gene Simmons.  It's not as bad or as good as you might think.  After a promising and interesting start, the movie falls into repetition.  The formula goes:

Main Character (I forgot his name already):  I must catch the evil Dr. Luther.

Main Character and police find the evil Dr. Luther and associates.  Violence ensues.  Secondary characters from both sides die.

Police Captain:  Main Character!  You allowed the evil Dr. Luther to escape!  You suck!  But, even though you're outside of your jurisdiction, I will begrudgingly allow you to continue!

Repeat for nearly two hours.  Make it seem even longer.

Don't get me wrong.  This is not a completely rotten movie, it just would have worked better as an hour long episode of something.  Something interesting I noted - it was given a PG-13 rating despite a little gratuitous nudity and the use of the fucking F-word.  The film was released in 1984, which I believe was the first year that rating saw use.  I guess the picture people hadn't hammered out the boundaries.
 - 2.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments: