Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Come On Baby, Light My Fire

Burning books in the news (be sure to note the name of the preacher and the church). As a writer, I wholeheartedly support churches burning books. One of two situations must apply - either the church ordered its parishioners to steal the books, in which case I can savor the irony, or they used their tithings to buy the freaking things, thus supporting the industry they attack. Book burning is a good metaphor for religion - flame and noise and hatred and finger-pointing with no real impact on their appointed enemies. Besides, they need their enemies. Without them they'll have to point those fingers at themselves.

I think I'll dedicate my first novel to Satan in the hopes that many religions will want to burn it. If any religious representatives want to place an early order, e-mail me and let me know. I'll see that your church gets a good discount based on volume.

No comments: